Luke Haines releases Raving, a unique album of ‘Outsider Music’
Luke Haines, the former Auteur and Black Box Recorder-er, has put together a new 12-track album of ‘Outsider Music’ called Raving that truly redefines the term ‘limited edition’ when it comes to physical music releases.
Described as “an album, a folk-ART statement and instant collector’s item” by the man himself, only 75 CDs of Raving are being issued and, remarkably, each disc features a different recording of all 12 tracks. Yes, Haines has recorded the album 75 times so each buyer gets a truly unique item. Each CD has an individually hand drawn/painted cover and they are signed. The price is £75.
These went on sale a little earlier today and can only be purchased via Haines’ Outsider Music blog. Below is a track listing and description of each song lifted from LH’s site.
Raving / Track details
- ‘Marc Bolan Blues’ – ‘Sitting here with the Marc Bolan blues…’ a self explanatory boogie
- ‘The Incredible String Band’ – The story of how the ISB discovered Scientology. In song. With Kazoo
- Chris From The Stars – A song about a mythological character from teen soap ‘Hollyoaks.’ The elusive ‘Chris’ lures the songs narrator into a dance of death. A harmonium drone with tape effects – all played simultaneously.
- Herbie Hancock Has An Idea – The synth jazz pioneer is hungry. He needs spicy pizza. Originally titled ‘Hungry Herbie.’ Features an overdubbed ‘Korg Attack’ synth’ solo.
- ‘68p In My Pocket’ – You all know Iggy’s ‘I’ve got my cock in my pocket.’ You may also know the Velvet Undergrounds’ ‘Fever In My Pocket.’ Well, this is a song about a man who has 68p in his pocket.
- Hey Bobby – Bobby is a modern day Mad Hatter. Sometimes he’s here – sometimes he isn’t. Sometimes he crops up in other songs. That’s Bobby for you.
- Makin’ The Ladies Cry – A man who has an unfortunate habit of reducing every woman he meets to tears. No one knows why.
- Drooling – ‘I’m sticky like the fluff on your chin. I’m dusty like dusty bin.’ Goes the song.
- Bomber Jacket – A song that didn’t make it on the Auteurs Bootboys album because I could never finish it. Now I have. Some things are worth waiting for.
- Impossible Art Band – A spoken word album wrapped up in under a minute. Frank Zappa’s entire career reduction. 4 instruments played simultaneously including a reversed backwards piano. (Bobby sometimes creeps into this track)
- Rave – After the storm…
- New Pagan Sun – A retelling of the 1980 Dart World Championship…