Matt Bianco / Whose Side Are You On / two-disc deluxe edition
Get up, get out of your lazy bed for Cherry Red Records’ forthcoming release of the first-ever remastered, expanded edition of continental-Latin-Jazz-pop combo Matt Bianco’s debut album.
Whose Side Are You On, originally released in 1984, went platinum in the UK and yielded five singles, most notably the Top 30 hits, Get Out Of Your Lazy Bed, which reached number 15 in the charts and Half A Minute, which peaked at number 23.
At the time Matt Bianco were a trio consisting of keyboardist Danny White and Mark Reilly and Basia Trzetrzelewska sharing vocal duties. When Basia left the group, Reilly fronted the band alone and they went on to enjoy further UK hits with the singles Yeh Yeh’ (number 13) in 1985 and Don’t Blame It On That Girl (number 11) in 1988.
However, that was but a mere trifle compared to Trzetrzelewska’s success as a radio-friendly smooth jazz solo artist in the United States. In the late Eighties and early Nineties, wisely keeping her consonant-rich surname on the down-low, she clocked up sales in excess of six million Stateside known simply as Basia. Indeed, the successful recent reissues of her albums Time And Tide and London Warsaw New York encouraged Cherry Red to give her former band’s debut the deluxe treatment.
This two-CD edition features 33 tracks in total – the original ten-song album plus 23 bonus tracks including all the single versions, b-sides, remixes, and alternate versions that were released during the promotion of the original album. There are 14 tracks that have never appeared on CD before and seven that have never been released before – six demos and a brand-new recording of Half A Minute.
The audio is accompanied by a 20-page booklet with new liner notes, lyrics, detailed track annotations from band members, an illustrated discography, written contributions from producer Peter Collins and mix engineer Phil Harding, plus previously unseen photos.
Whose Side Are You On is released on 17 June. Thanks to the new Price Comparison Tool below, you can see that (at the time of writing) Amazon UK is offering a fantastic price for this two-CD set.
Compare prices and pre-order
Whose Side Are You On: Deluxe 2CD Edition (Jewel Case)
- WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON (EXTENDED VERSION)
- MORE THAN I CAN BEAR (REMIX)
- NO NO NEVER
- HALF A MINUTE
- MATT’S MOOD (12” REMIX)*
- GET OUT OF YOUR LAZY BED
- IT’S GETTING LATE
- SNEAKING OUT THE BACK DOOR
- RIDING WITH THE WIND
- MATT’S MOOD II
BONUS TRACKS – ORIGINAL UK ALBUM VERSIONS
- MORE THAN I CAN BEAR (Original UK Album Version)
- MATT’S MOOD (Original UK Album Version)
BONUS TRACKS – SINGLE VERSIONS AND NON-ALBUM B-SIDES
- BIG ROSIE (7” Version)*
- WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON? (7” Version)*
- THE OTHER SIDE*
- MORE THAN I CAN BEAR (US Edited Remix)*
- WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON (US 7” Version)*
BONUS TRACKS – REMIXES & ALTERNATE VERSIONS
- GET OUT OF YOUR LAZY BED (Extended Version)*
- MATT’S MOOD (Single Edit)*
- BIG ROSIE (Extended Version)*
- MATT’S MOOD II (Single Edit)*
- SNEAKING OUT THE BACK DOOR (Extended Version)*
- MATT’S MOOD (7” Remix)*
- BIG ROSIE (Remix)*
- HALF A MINUTE (Extended Version)*
- MATT’S MOOD (Extended Version)*
BONUS TRACKS – DEMOS
- WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON? (Demo)**
- HALF A MINUTE (Demo)**
- GET OUT OF YOUR LAZY BED (Demo)**
- SNEAKING OUT THE BACK DOOR (Demo)**
- BIG ROSIE (Demo)**
- THE HAPPY CHRISTMAS SONG (Demo)**
BONUS TRACKS – NEW RECORDING
- HALF A MINUTE (2015 Version)**
*Previously unavailable on CD