The Robert Palmer Collected three-CD set will be made available again next week.
Originally issued back in 2016 (via Universal Netherlands), the compilation, broadly speaking, devotes its first disc to Palmer’s Island years, the second to his tenure at EMI and, perhaps most interestingly, has a third disc of relative rarities including b-sides, twelve-inch remixes and two tracks from rhythm and blues group Vinegar Joe – the band Robert was in with Elkie Brooks in the early 1970s. Collected then gets even more interesting by going back even further to 1969 for, Gypsy Girl, Robert’s debut with The Alan Bown Set. He contributed vocals to the song after Jess Roden had left.
The third disc also features Milk Cow’s Calf Blues, Palmer’s contribution to the 2001 Robert Johnson tribute album Hellhound on My Trail, and Life in Detail, a relative obscurity from the soundtrack of the film Pretty Woman.
Although there are many Robert Palmer compilations out there, this one at least makes an effort to be interesting and at 34 years, spans the widest period of time. It includes tracks from all his solo studio album and has this gem of a third disc which does break new ground with some of the selections.
Robert Palmer: Collected is released on 19 February 2021. This is effectively an import (it’s not officially licensed for the UK), hence the relative high price point (although it’s not too bad).
Compare prices and pre-order
- Get outside
- Sneakin’ sally through the alley
- Give me an inch
- Which of us is the fool
- Man smart, woman smarter
- Every kinda people
- Best of both worlds
- What’s it take?
- Bad case of loving you (doctor, doctor)
- Can we still be friends?
- Johnny and mary
- Looking for clues
- Not a second time
- Some guys have all the luck
- You are in my system
- You can have it (take my heart)
- Discipline of love
- Addicted to love
- I didn’t mean to turn you on
- Simply irresistible
- She makes my day
- Early in the morning
- Tell me i’m not dreaming
- Change his ways
- It could happen to you
- You’re amazing
- Mercy mercy me / i want you
- Dreams to remember
- Girl u want
- Know by now
- You blow me away
- Respect yourself
- True love
- Dr. zhivago’s train
- Gypsy girl the alan bown
- Never met a dog (that took to me) (vinegar joe)
- See the world (through my eyes) (vinegar joe)
- Parade of the obliterators
- Pride (remix)
- You can have it (take my heart) (12″ version)
- You are in my system (remix)
- Some like it hot (the power station)
- Get it on (bang a gong) (the power station)
- Simply irresistible (e.t. remix)
- Mercy mercy me / i want you (12″ remix)
- Sweet lies (from “sweet lies” soundtrack)
- Life in detail (from “pretty woman” soundtrack)
- I’ll be your baby tonight ft. ub40
- Every kinda people (1992 remix)
- Milk cow’s calf blues (tribute to robert johnson)